Be honest: Do you have a graveyard of talks you’ve delivered 1, 2 or 3 times? Do you feel like you’re creating a new talk for almost every speaking opportunity?
If you’re picturing your Canva dashboard packed with slide decks, right about now, you’re in good company.
Many of my Signature Talk Accelerator students come into the program with a bunch of talks, before honing in on a signature talk topic that’s versatile enough to be used over and over again.
Nicole Hatherly, a Global Brand Strategist & Professional Speaker, was one of these students. As an already good speaker, she struggled with the idea of how to clearly articulate her expertise into one talk.
But inside the Signature Talk Accelerator she found her ‘margarita message’–my spicy way of asking what you want your audience to know when you’re 3 margarita’s deep in a conversation. That’s when all the extra word fillings go away, and you hone in on a simple and concise message that resonates with your audience.
In this episode you’ll hear why Nicole no longer believes a signature talk is a one-trick pony, and how she’s been able to customize her talk to business, corporate, and academic audiences all by shifting the stories she tells. By making these tweaks Nicole takes her signature talk and makes her audiences feel the talk was made just for them.
You’ll love hearing how the trajectory of Nicole’s business (and confidence) changed within 6 months of creating the rough draft of her signature talk.
In this episode, Nicole and I discuss:
- leveling up as a professional speaker
- pitching your talk before you’re ready
- embracing imperfection in your talk and business
- refining your talk for different audiences
- being purposeful with your off stage time
- connecting with the audience before & after your talk
- adapting a signature talk into workshops, programs, and one-on-one client sessions
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS EPISODE:
- LISTEN to the full episode on Apple Podcast or Spotify
- WATCH the full video episode on YouTube
- READ the episode transcript
ABOUT NICOLE HATHERLY:
Nicole is obsessed with Brand Strategy and Humans. With three decades of experience as an award-winning Global Brand Strategist, International Keynote, Thought Leadership Expert, and International Awards Judge, Nicole has designed strategies and driven results for iconic and global brands including CommBank, CommSec, TikTok, Foxtel, Woolworths, Subaru, Electrolux, Yahoo, Mirvac and Telstra and shared the stage with Brené Brown, Seth Godin and Arianna Huffington.
Enjoyed this episode? You also might love:
- Episode 205 – Speak to Sell: How to Make Money On The Back End of Speaking
- Episode 188 – The Results Of Practicing Your Signature Talk In Public Over 200 Times With Liz Wilcox
- Episode 189 – 4 Ways to Use Story to Connect in your Marketing with Lindsay Rogers
- Episode 167 – 10 Stages You Could Be Speaking On Now to Attract Clients
- Episode 116 – 3 Ways to Monetize Free Speaking Gigs (without selling from the stage)
- Episode 111 – How to Raise Your Speaking Fee (even if it’s currently zero)